Naval Site Museum- Ex Bap Abtao Submarine , In the 1950s, the 4 “R” class submarines had served 25 years of service to the nation and the government ordered its replacement by modern units of attack (hunter / matador) with the most modern The postwar period and exclusive design for Peru, calling them “SIERRA” Class. They were built at the Electric Boat Co. shipyard in Connecticut, United States and named LOBO (S-1) and TIBURON (S-2), which arrived in July 1954 and ATUN (S-3) and MERLIN (S-4), who arrived in Callao in November 1957, were later named DOS DE MAYO (SS-41), ABTAO (SS-42), ANGAMOS (SS-43) and IQUIQUE (SS-44). It was launched on October 27, 1953 in the port of New London, Connecticut, USA and named BAP TIBURON , the National Pavilion was declared on March 1, 1954 and after a training period in the The United States sailed to Callao, joining the Peruvian Navy on July 20, 1954. Since then it carried out important missions in the Submarine Flotilla, which contributed in time of peace to dissuade any potential enemy from going to war. On March 29, 1957, BAP “ABTAO” was renamed in honor of one of the most important fights in the history of Peru, the Abtao Naval Combat on February 7, 1866, off the coast of Abtao, Chile , Fought between the Spanish squadron and the victorious Allied Peruvian-Chilean squadron, commanded by Captain Manuel Villar, distinguished member of the Peruvian Navy.